Friday, February 17, 2017

Curvy Girl Satisfaction


I love to shop. I've loved to shop ever since I was a little girl. While frustrating at times due to my fluffy nature, I still LOVED TO SHOP. The challenge of finding cute close in my size allowed me to play with looks and be creative with styling. "Jeans fit my hips, but not my waist? No problem, I'll layer it with a fun jacket and a long fitted tee." So imagine my horror when I read this study from 2009: "Only thin women enjoy shopping, claims study ."

They purport that body image is tied to shopping satisfaction. But, that is not necessarily true. What came first the chicken or the egg? That's the true problem. Is a person's body image distorted because fashionable clothing options are not readily available? Wouldn't it be safe to say that a person's body image would improve if there was diversity in models, mannequins, and displays? The perspective that the study uses is distorted because they're not curvy or as they enjoy espousing during the whole article, FAT.


As we've seen recently, the varied shapes and sizes of models and actresses in the media and in film, have opened a gateway of body positivity that will not go back. Options for ways to accentuate curves--not hide or "camouflage" them--are flooding stores and online. To the study's credit, it is about 8 years old and suggests at the conclusion that the study should "prompt shop owners and clothing designers to provide a more positive experience for women of all sizes visiting their stores." What I don't like is the fact that I have always enjoyed shopping and have never been "thin."  I am now on a mission to encourage women who don't like shopping because of their body image--not those who just hate shopping...period--step out of the negativity and enjoy adorning those curves! It's a great time to be a curvy girl. Curves are a commanding force on the runways during fashion weeks (i.e. Ashley Graham in Michael Kors), on magazine covers, in movies, strolling the red carpets, and sitting at a desk or in a chair reading this blog right now!

With bloggers posting dressing room confidential videos and plus size boutiques offering personal shopping services, the sky is the limit to your curvy fashion possibilities! So there...you old study! We're just as happy shopping as our slimmer counterparts. And we'll express this happiness by supporting the businesses that support us and make sure we can continue to boost our positive self images in fashions we adore!


No comments:

Post a Comment