Thursday, March 20, 2014

March Madness



While the world is looking at college athletes battle it out for bragging rights, athletic program donations, and hopefully a future in the NBA, I am in the daunting process of editing my novel. The timing could not be more perfect because I will use basketball as my inspiration. These astute student athletes have played their whole lives for this moment. They have spent countless hours in the gym, on the court, and in the mirror encouraging themselves to ascend to this elite level of competition. These teams have to endure tight schedules, screaming fans—some positive, others very negative-- and sometimes berating coaches.  I have had to endure some of the same life honing experiences to get me to this point where my book is finally completed.   I have to fine tune my book and get ready to share it with the world. These athletes have gotten their game to the point where they have won championships and between each win in the next few weeks, they will have to edit, reflect, and change to keep leveling up.  I totally understand what they are going through from an intellectual standpoint. On the other hand, I cannot relate to the actual stress and strain on their physical bodies!


Then, there is the other side of all the madness. I have always felt the deep pangs of defeat in each tear of the players on the  losing team.  We forget that these players are just kids aged between 18 to 22 give or take a year.   We look at them as if they were machines by making brackets and placing bets. The pressure is real and I would not want to be in their position, but then again I guess I’m setting myself up to do just that. Let’s say my book is a hit. That means I will be expected to produce an even better book the next time and so on. I will let people down if I don’t deliver a quality product—a win if you will. I will be that machine that needs to output quality manuscripts. No matter how exceptional the idea, I’ll have to breathe life into it to create a book that will touch lives in a way that investors will appreciate. Am I up for the challenge? Of course. I know that God hasn’t brought me this far to leave me. In the same way, each young man and woman who will play their hearts out on the court during these highly competitive games are exactly where they are supposed to be at this moment in time. I pray they seize the opportunity to milk it for all its worth. Showcase talent! Make memories! Leave a mark! I’m up for the challenge and I know they are as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment