Monday, April 6, 2015

Book Review: How the Other Half Hamptons by Jasmin Rosemberg


How the Other Half Hamptons by Jasmin Rosemberg
5 Spot (Hachette Book Group)


Spring cleaning definitely has benefits. You get to clear out and freshen up things for the busy travel season ahead!! Well, I was sorting some things out in the garage and I ran across a brand new book among other books that had been packed away.  I had never seen the book before. It was published in 2008 which was a year full of transition. I may have even purchased it while in a fog, but I sure am glad I found it!  

Three friends--Jamie, Rachel, and Allison--pay for share house arrangements one summer in the Hamptons and their lives change forever. While that may seem like a rather dramatic observation, it is true nonetheless. Between hookups and hangouts, these girls find out a lot about themselves and about what they truly want.  I enjoyed the entire book. I enjoyed the plot. I enjoyed the insider approach to Rosemberg’s writing. Can I call her “Jasmin?”  After reading this delicious novel, I feel like we’re friends for some odd reason. Her background as a nightlife reporter for the New York Post serves her well as she gives readers a taste of the not-so-often seen side of the Hamptons. 


Jasmin Rosemberg’s How the Other Half Hamptons is an easy read that you won’t want to put down. It was not at all what I expected which was a pleasant surprise. The book is a sneak peek at not how the upper echelon “hamptons” each summer--oh no--but, it’s about how twenty-somethings (sometimes thirty-somethings) break and bend the law in order to make summer memories. As the byline reads, “One house. Forty strangers. Add vodka and stir…”


I appreciate this book not only for the entertainment factor, but also because it shows women from all backgrounds that there is a clear distinction between boys and men. I could relate to some of the hijinks, tomfoolery, and down right ambiguity of the guys these girls had to encounter. I also could relate to the cattiness that plague female interactions. Jasmin got the tone just right and I found myself reading at a frenetic pace in order to find out how things were going to pan out. For example, the adventure in the Lexus was hilarious however, the writing was so great that I felt anxious for the girls! I felt as if I were the fourth chick in the back seat trying to find a sign on the dark roads to save us from a debacle of a trip. Anyway, as you build up your beach reading list (I know I am), add this gem.  If you can’t wait, read it now to get some ideas of ways to spend your summer...or things to avoid!







No comments:

Post a Comment