Friday, July 25, 2014

One Bag Wonder

I often see women depicted in movies and on TV as carrying a million bags while traveling. I wondered if this was an exaggeration for comedic effect or just a reflection of real women in society. Through my travels, I’ve observed that women truly do carry quite a bit. Men, on the other hand, try their best to pack light and efficiently. Then there’s me. I remember when I was a little girl and I had this little red suitcase with stickers one of which said “I love Grama.” 



That wonderful suitcase was endearing to me because that is what I affectionately called my grandmother. Whenever I traveled with my family, I fit everything in that suitcase. Of course, my mom tucked some of my belongings in her various pieces of luggage, but for me, one suitcase was the way to go. When I graduated from high school, my parents gave me a three piece blue Jordache luggage set. I loved it! It came with two rolling suitcases and a folding garment bag. Whenever I traveled I stuffed that garment bag to the hilt, but the suit cases really didn’t get much use. I was still a one bag girl.  Now that I’ve ramped up my traveling this year, I realize that once again, I endeavor to keep my baggage to a minimum.

How do I do it? So glad you asked!

I wish I could take credit for this beautiful work. It is by Mitchell Nick You can find it here. I'll be placing my order soon!


I’m going on a 3-night getaway tomorrow.  I packed a week ago!  I always pack early because I like to pull the outfits out of rotation that I’m going to wear during my trip.  I knew the look I was going for during the trip so I pulled several dresses, a couple pairs of skinny jeans, and numerous tops.  I took inventory of my lingerie and sleepwear.  Once I coordinated about five outfits, I put everything else back in my closet (not without pulling 5 dresses for the workweek) and began packing.

Graphic by Amanda Gia 2014


The base layer should always be shoes.  Because I’m going to be on my getaway for four days, I wanted to make sure I had enough shoes for any occasion. I’m wearing a flat strappy sandal during travel which will be great for stylish walking. Then I needed my night out red peep-toe platforms.  I needed some cute wedge sandals—animal print of course. Classic pump was the next pair to get tucked into my bag. I slid my comfy flip flops along the side.  That’s five pairs of interchangeable shoes for the trip. I threw my sneakers in for workout purposes.   I tried to sneak my black cage high-heeled sandals in, but they didn’t fit.   Guess they won’t be going with me!

After a shopping spree at Victoria’s Secret I was prepared to pack my unmentionables. Two bras, plus the one I’ll be wearing should be enough.  I packed 6 pairs of undies which should be more than enough.  I had a little fun shopping for nightwear because I’m usually a pajama pants and tank type of girl.  I stepped it up with 2 gowns and a nice pajama set. Something different for each night of the trip!

Graphic by Amanda Gia 2014

Time for the middle layer.  This is the fun part!  Pack complete outfits with accessories from the bottom up. Whatever you plan to wear on the first day, leave that out and pack that last.  If you’re not one to unpack your entire bag when you reach your destination, like me, you can pack your separates on top of the shoes you know you’ll wear first. This way, you can pull out your neatly folded stack of separates i.e. tops, pants, skirts, dresses that are not a part of an outfit, grab the shoes you need and then stick the separates back in place. I’ve packed 6 outfits (1-body con dress for the evening, 2-dresses short and maxi w/grey jacket that matches both for church/brunch, 1-white oxford, army green skirt and denim jacket combo for any occasion, 1 pink & ecru chevron maxi dress for day/night transition, 1-skinny jean blouse combo).  My separates include a black maxi dress, a dressy black top, swimsuit/sarong, and workout clothes all of which can be mixed and matched with other pieces from my set outfits.

Graphic by Amanda Gia 2014
While the middle layer is the most fun, the top layer can be the most challenging.  There shouldn’t be much room left on the top layer, but there should still be a little space for last minute” throw-ins.”  I leave my rolling duffel bag open in my closet all week for last minute additions.  I put a towel and washcloth on this layer just in case.  I also put some red ballet flats there.  I put my shaper that I almost forgot on this layer as well.  I must confess that the maxi dress for church/brunch was actually a new purchase that I tossed on the top layer, but it has moved its way down to the middle layer because of the towel and washcloth.  I’m done! I zipped it up this morning with no room to spare.  The front zipper pocket will carry random accessories.  My toiletries and makeup will be transported in a little carrying case that will stay with me. 


I am a one bag wonder. There have been times when I fit my toiletries and makeup in my main bag, but this trip calls for a variety of outfits that take up more space than my usual pack.  I hope this helps you pack one bag and be the envy of all your friends as they lug too much stuff around the terminal or even trying to get it all in the car!  Happy and safe travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment