Friday, October 10, 2014

Today's Soundtrack: "We Got The Jazz"

Buy it here.

I'm back again with another music review. I was going to tackle Prince this Friday, but I decided to save that for another day because there is just so much material to cover with his TWO projects he just recently put out.  I decided to introduce to some and present to others the wonderful music of Jason Moran.

Listening to NPR one afternoon, I heard a review on Jason Moran's new album All Rise: A Joyful Elegy for Fats Waller.  Check the broadcast out here. Let me start with the fact that I have truly eclectic taste in everything including music, but jazz is one of my favorite genres of music.  I like trios, big band, and that gritty hard-to-keep-up-with jazz. Smooth jazz isn't my thing, and Jason Moran is far from smooth. It's edgy and informed by his love of hip hop.  I think this is a great place to stop and let you listen to this...


Ahhh! Now that I got that craving to hear A Tribe Called Quest out the way, let's get back to Jason Moran. His album was recorded and mixed by Bob Power who is known for honing the sound on  A Tribe Called Quest albums. Well, look at that! It all ties together.

The snippets played during the NPR review by Kevin Whitehead reeled me in and I definitely wanted more. When I finally got a chance to listen to All Rise, I was more than satisfied with what I heard.  There aren't any snippets around the internet, but here is just a preview of the type of joyous jazz you'll be jumping and vibing to when you hear his work. This clip features Meshell Ndegeocello's sultry vocals which can be found on other cuts on All Rise.


Want more Jason Moran Music?
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment